Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tuesdays With Dorie - White Loaves

**Note: It would have been great if I had remembered to hit post on this when I typed it up yesterday. Please forgive my TWD post being on a Wednesday this week. Sheesh!**

I am so excited to be a part of Tuesdays With Dorie again! We all started with a new book this time around, Baking With Julia. Our first recipe was White Loaves. I have never even attempted making bread, so I must admit this was a pretty daunting task for me. The recipe seemed pretty straight forward, so I was looking forward to trying my hand at bread baking for the first time. Unfortunately this recipe didn't work so well for me...I thought my mixer was going to burn up while trying to mix the ingredients. The resulting mixture was really lumpy, & I was afraid it wouldn't rise. I put it in a bowl to proof anyway, & much to my surprise it actually rose. The baked loaf was pretty dense, but it made yummy toast. I will definitely try this recipe again, I may just have to resort to hand kneading the dough since my mixer doesn't like to cooperate.



Head over to slush or Someone's in the Kitchen for the recipe. Also check out the TWD page for everyone's links!

4 comments:

  1. So glad you are part of this round of TWD! :) I am glad your bread was yummy even if it started out lumpy. This is going to be a fun group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mixer had a rough time too, and I also did a lot of kneading by hand. All that really matters in the end though is the taste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad I'm not the only one that had problems. I'm bound & determined to try this again until I get it just perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you hung in there even though it wasn't working the way you wanted to. And if it tasted good, well, that's what matters in the end.

    ReplyDelete